Monday, December 3, 2007

School Holiday Alert

Its school holidays again… and the pressure begins.

I always feel a slight dread when school holiday approaches. I would let out a Red Indian whoopee-yell if I was a kid, but since I’m now only a kid in my mind, and no one else seems to agree with me, plus the fact that I have kids of my own (I do? Did I forget that?)… the thought of school holidays feels me with a slight panic.

It was definitely easier those days. A weekend trip to the bookstore, where Mum goes shop-gallivanting, and Big Sis and I would be left to sit on the floor of the store and pour through book after book, that would be pure heaven. It was just Jaya PJ, the book store below Kathy’s Toys (where Lil Bro would be), but the thought of spending time on store floor would leave me sleepless in anticipation.

I hardly remember going to malls, unless it was Raya time. That would include a trip to Mun Loong and Globe Silk Store, and we would be yawning tears every five-minutes tagging behind mum. The highlight of the day would be lunch at KFC at Sungei Wang Plaza. School holidays at home would mean a lot of book reading, bicycle riding and playing make-believe in the compound of the house. And we would be happy.

D1 and D2 now have toys leading all the way up to the ceiling. Turn every page of a Toys-r-Us catalogue, and they would have almost all of the featured items. A hundred Barbies and accessories, including cars, shops and whatnots, premium kitchen sets, all doll play-sets (changer, cot, iron set, baby carrier, pram, car seat… basically, every necessary item for a living baby, in doll size), vanity table and real makeup (no thanks to their Cu Pit), BBQ sets, motorized cars, bicycles, scooters, every game imaginable (including gambling games… ahem!), sports equipment, tents, special girly sleeping bags with matching torchlights, water tumblers and camping chairs, portable stereo, portable DVD player, Game Boy (all pink, of course…), and books enough to fill up a school library. Any toy or book, you name it, chances are, they’ll have it. Heck, I still have unopened presents from two years back… the storage problem is a killer.

I would have been happy if I were them. But, no. They still call endlessly at the office, asking when I’ll be home, when can I take them to the playground, when I can bake cakes and lasagna with them, when can I play the new game with them, when this, when that, and the list goes on. I should be proud, toys don’t seem to do it for them, they want the company of me mere mortal… but it sure adds to the pressure cooker. So I try to come up with new ideas to entertain them.

I’ve camped with them overnight in my tiny garden. We had the tent and all camping gear up, complete with the gas-cylinder portable cooker. That was fun, except LV refused to join in and preferred the comfort of the soft bed upstairs (very wise of him, I must say…), and I ended up not sleeping a wink because of the ruckus the frogs in my sorry excuse of a pond were making throughout the night. Decepticons slept well, though.

I’ve brought them on morning nature walks, gone cycling with D2 at the back in the sport child seat, gone kite flying, danced in the rain, had dressed-up tea picnics in the garden (with real miniature china, cup cakes and tea), drawn and coloured, played hide-n-seek, monsters, police-n-thief and brought them to restaurants and malls till they beg to be left at home. They now only want to go if it includes movies or sessions at Art Attack.

But I’m still trying to outdo myself. We went ice-skating last Sunday. I ended up on my rump a little too many times, LV swears he’s sprained his ankles and Decepticons pleaded to go home. I’m signing them up for holiday swimming lessons tomorrow, on top of the weekly sessions they have at the Club. That’ll take care of at least two weeks of weekdays. Perfect.

After that will be three nights at Club Med, Bali followed by another PD trip. If there’s any weekend left, we’ll slot in a Kebun camping or a Bukit Tinggi horse riding trip. Or if I’ve run out of steam or energy, another ice-skating trip would put a stop to my fear and it’ll be their turn to panic. And panic they will be... if I have anything to do with it.

The thing is, are they the ones complaining or I’m the one on a guilt-trip? Doesn’t really matter, does it. At the end of the day, we end up happy… albeit sometimes, bruised and wary. A family that plays together, stays together. That reminds me. I haven’t gotten them started on AEIOU or Ting-Ting yet. Another weekday woe gone. Darn…! I’m Good!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hayo... Tell me about it. School holidays make me stress as well. Well,I have 3 power ranges to thing about and their activities. So far, they have gone to High School Musical workshop, lots of trip to the club for swimming, tennis, golf and shopping malls. In 2 weeks we have gone to the garden, pavilion, one utama, bangsar village and bsc. AND, they still bored! So how?

Tigress said...

Anonymous (ya.. right...),

Ish...ish... How spoilt. (LOL).I think its time to bring them to Hospice, do some volunteer work for RELA, MERCY, RSPCA etc... Okla..okla.. I get the msg.. We'll plan the kebun trip together. Pronto. After Bali?

Anonymous said...

wah tigress.....your kids' school horiday so cororfur oneeeee...my kids thinks school holiday is synonyms to days spent at tok's house...heheheheh

Anonymous said...

so me no stress mahhhh......Tok & Nani are stressful now....Mummy & Daddy enjoyyyyyyy.....

Tigress said...

Zaneim,
Wallow...! I'm jealous! Problem is, I can't follow your lead, because the Decons are at grandparents house, like... everyday? So, the moment they can, Tok Abah and Tok Mak will bounce them off to us again. Toss..Toss...Bounce...Bounce... Aisay, not very ibu mithali material la... Maybe I can toss over to Ampang g/parents pulak...

Anonymous said...

Hey, Club Med Bintan was fantastic! The kids loved it. The kids club and petite club were god-sent to lazy (and not so creative) parents like me! Lemme know whether CM Bali is worth considering for the next school holidays, ok? hehehe..

Anonymous said...

Apa punya worang. Satu kali tulis pasal itu cuti belakang tarak update.

Itu kanak2 la saya cakap sama kamu buat style satu kali sama itu encik zaba. Itu worang encik zaba kasi homework ayat2 quran sama doa suro itu anak2 (yang anak ketiga comel dan bersopan santun) hapal. Satu kali saya ada kesian sama itu abang ada sedikit lambat baca quran saya kasi tulis ayat quran dalam melayu juga ada atas itu whiteboard. Belakang cerita encik zaba nampak whiteboard la saya cakap sama kamu ar ini tangan merah la itu abang kene pukul saya juga kena taruh sekali.... amma appa.

Tigress said...

Moonstoon,

Bali Club Med was excellent! I meant to do a write up with pictures, but holiday n raya mood's set in too strongly... I remain a lazy bum to the extreme as we are speaking... Gotta buck up. Buck me up, pls.

The Jah,

Wah... U punya Appa wa manyak respect la... Wa antar wa punya anak sama u punya Appa la... Boleh belajar J-Qaf cum jet-setting sekali...Kewl! And budak comel dan bersopan-santun..., one word only... Major Con-Woman! (Alaa.. terlebih words tu...)